Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mentos, Soda, and Parental pride

There are events that come along during the course of raising a kid in the public school system. 

We've taken A to nearly every dance. Which is it's own special hell. 
It's hot, it's loud, the kids are running around like dogs off the leash, and you sit there bored to death.

But she wants to go, so we go.

This time it was....the Science Fair. Complete with judging of the projects.

I didn't even realize that the project she had been working on at school with 5 other girls, two of whom she couldn't stand, was for the Science Fair. She's not real forthcoming with details. 

So I find out about the Science Fair 2 days before it happens. Her dad and I are really excited. Our first Science Fair! We both really encourage her to enjoy science and it's one of her best subjects. We may have got a little too excited because the next day she's saying she doesn't want to go because she is the group leader and will have to present the project.

I start to worry there's some social anxiety going on. I mean, her dad has it pretty bad and I used to be really awkward with public speaking. So I message her teacher to tell her what A said and she responds and tells me what a great job A did presenting in class. Once I tell A this, and that my mom is coming too, she changes her mind.

The day arrives. There are a lot of pretty impressive projects. It's 5th and 6th grade so as expected some are a little better. None were done at home with parental help (total bummer). You can tell some of the kids went all out and really put effort into their projects.


A and her groups did theirs on the Mentos & Soda phenomenon. Their Hypothesis was that the explosion would be higher if the soda was at room temperature than if it were cold. The results actually showed the opposite. 


Was the display really eye catching? Not..really. But when the judges came to talk to A and her team mate she made eye contact, smiled, and was animated when talking to them. The judges also praised them for including their journal in the display. 


I swelled with pride! All the worries about her dealing with such situations washed away. She can do it, but when talking to us she plays up being shy a lot. She was the group leader and she dealt with some bitchy girls but she did well in the end. 

Her project did not win any awards (there was another project with the same general theme), but I kind of expected that. There were some pretty impressive projects there. Honestly, that didn't matter to me. The fact that my kid could be part of an event that would have caused anxiety for me and she seemed to thrive....that's worth more than any certificate.


Next year she will be in Middle School. Oh how I dread it. But I bet science will be even more interesting!  Assuming her teacher is properly enthused...and maybe she can do a solo project that we can help with! 

Education is fun if you have an appreciation for it. Just not sure that will ever happen with math..

No comments:

Post a Comment